Did you know?
Insurance for Home or Business
We provide an array of services, including home, condo and apartment insurance, vehicle insurance, life and health insurance, other insurance (umbrella policies, flood, etc.), and related financial planning services. Check our Insurance Services section for information on each of these.More >
Five Ways to Make Your Home Safer
Having a safe home can help you get the most affordable rates for your home insurance coverage. Not only that, it is just good practice to protect your home and its occupants from unnecessary risk. How can you improve your home’s safety to help you get a better home insurance quote?
- Are all of your medications and poisons out of reach from children? If you do not have children, do you ever have children of family or friends in your home? If so, use child safety locks or keep harmful chemicals and medications safely out of reach.
- Use dead-bolt locks on all exterior locks. These types of locks are much more difficult to break-in through than your standard lock. Try to find a lock that has a ANSI grade 1 rating for a good quality lock.
- Have sensors for smoke, fire, and carbon monoxide. You should have smoke alarms on every floor of the house. Carbon monoxide leaks can be prevented by having your heating system inspected at least once a year. To be safe, however, place a carbon monoxide alarm outside every bedroom in the house.
- Be smart about going on vacation. Have a friend remove newspapers and other mail while you are gone, so it doesn’t appear that your home is empty. Don’t post about going away on any public social media accounts. You can post pictures of the trip when you get home, but its not a great idea to tell everyone that the whole family will be gone for a week.
- Avoid trips and falls. Use anti slip mats under rugs on any hardwood flooring. This is especially important if you children and the elderly around. Make sure that the banister for your stair case is secure.
Being safe around the home can help you get a lower rate on your home insurance. And, it’ll help you avoid any injuries or robberies while you’re at it.
Supervise at All Times Around Water
Supervise your kids at all times when they are around or in the water. Don't assume that just because your child took swimming lessons or is using a flotation device such as an inner tube or inflatable raft that there's no drowning risk.
If you're at a party, it's especially easy to become distracted, so designate an adult who will be responsible for watching the children.